Pages

Sunday, May 10, 2009

Natural Hair Questions from ramonica3

Questions Number One:
How do I stretch my natural hair?

I tried to list the top three safest, tried and true methods.

1) Always start with wet, moisturized hair.
2) Use firm but not tight tension with all methods.

Banding











3)Separate hair into sections and detangle
4)Use multiple ponytail holders/rubber bands along the length of the hair at regular intervals to stretch hair, leave air banded until completely dry ( air of heat).

Braid-out/Twist-out/Bantu Knot-out
(some people prefer to twist and braid dry hair because they feel they see more length)
3)Separate hair into sections and detangle
4) make the desired size braid, knot or two or three strand twist
5) Let hair dry
completely. (I usually wear the braids, knots or twists a day or two.)

Blow Drying
*gasps* (Yes, some people still use heat .)
3)Separate hair into sections and detangle
4a) use a diffuser and hold out your curls as you blow them dry.
4b) use a WIDE comb attachment and blow out each section.

Question Number Two:
How do I know my hair type?

I can't say any better than they do on Naturally Curly so:
Hair Typing
Also a specific comparison of types 3c,4a and 4b hair: here.

Comment if this was helpful
.

5 Comments:

Lady Kinnks said...

i too, like to blow dry for added length and texture :) for me, it allows my twist to look neater longer :)

Unknown said...

I AM SO GLAD I FOUND THIS SITE BECAUSE MY MOM DOES NOT ALLLOW MY SISTER AND I TO USE CHEMICALS ON OUR HAIR AND OUR HAIR IS EXTREMELY LONG AND I COULD USE SOME OF THESE TIPS WHEN IM STYLING MY OWN HAIR

Unknown said...

I'm so glad you found it helpful. :)

ANDREA CHEATEM said...

IM DOING A SCIENCE FAIR PROJECT ON HAIR... THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN RELAXED HAIR AND NATURAL HAIR... I'VE HEARD THAT RELAXERS CAUSE DAMAGE AND WEAKENS YOUR HAIR.. IS IT TRUE THAT NATURAL HAIR IS STRONGER THAN RELAXED HAIR.. I PLAN TO TEST THAT FOR MY PROJECT... CAN SOME ONE HELP!

LaLaLovely76 said...

I have yet to try this but its on my list to do very soon..I purchased some dollar store ties, but it looks like you're actually using headbands...does that work better?

Post a Comment