The woman pictured above ,Veronica Carter, went to a braid salon in North Carolina,as a result of a scratch from the braiders dirty fingernail, she developed MRSA. The story is here.
"The braid came out and it was like a little white bump," she said. "The headaches became just on one side and it was migraines and it was like a heat sensation."
"My whole face was swollen, my eye was absolutely shut," said Carter.
She went to the emergency room twice and paperwork she was given on the second visit states she may have MRSA,
According to MayoClinic.com: Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) infection is caused by a strain of staph bacteria that's become resistant to the antibiotics commonly used to treat ordinary staph infections.
Most MRSA infections occur in people who have been in hospitals or other health care settings, such as nursing homes and dialysis centers. When it occurs in these settings, it's known as health care-associated MRSA (HA-MRSA). HA-MRSA infections typically are associated with invasive procedures or devices, such as surgeries, intravenous tubing or artificial joints.
Another type of MRSA infection has occurred in the wider community — among healthy people. This form, community-associated MRSA (CA-MRSA), often begins as a painful skin boil. It's spread by skin-to-skin contact. At-risk populations include groups such as high school wrestlers, child care workers and people who live in crowded conditions.
This woman went to the emergency room twice and is on four antibiotics. North Carolina, unrelated to this incident, is now requiring that all braiders and braid salons be state licensed, do you think this should be the case in all states?