Pages

Sunday, April 19, 2009

Okra in your hair?!

I was reading Newly Natural and someone asked about making gel from okra.


Yes, the slimy vegetable.

My first thought was: huh? Then I remembered the consistency of my flax seed gel, it was pretty much slime. So, ever the researcher, I quickly found a recipe:

  1. Slice 2 to 4 Okra
  2. Add the Okra to 150ml of boiling water.
  3. Add 1 teaspoon of Blue Malva or Marshmallow herbs
  4. Let the mixture boil up really good
  5. Turn off the heat once boiled
  6. Leave it to cool until it forms a slimy and gelatinous liquid.
  7. Remove the boiled Okra & herbs from the liquid
  8. Smooth the nutrient rich slimy gel into a clean and sterilized jar
  9. Store in the fridge when you're not using it
  10. Use within 2 to 3 days or add a synthetic preservative to increase it's shelf life.
Optional:
Add a little freshly squeezed lemon juice or your favorite essential oil to the mix
Courtesy of The Life of a Mixtress


There is even a commercial product:



Fred Okra Fibre Gel


I'm thinking I will make okra gel and add the same goodies I did to my flax seed gel.

Has anyone whipped their slimy gels? What was your result, please comment.

2 Comments:

Laquita said...

Interesting - I really do not like to eat okra - it would be interesting to try it as a hair product.

Tankavizion said...

I love, love, love, love okra inside and out it's absolutely delicious. Thank you sooo much for this recipe which I can use as an alternative in my Shea butter mix. I can no longer use flax seed or aloe gel mix since they have phyto-estrogens which causes major medical issues for me. I am very pleased to have found this site.

Post a Comment