Pages

Sunday, May 13, 2012

"Crazy, wild and wacky hair"

Lalaloopsy has crazy, wild and wacky hair that you can bend any way you want!

I recently saw a television commercial for a doll with bendable hair. My first thought was, "This will be great for little natural hair girls". I continued watching as her hair was made into tight curls and big waves standing in a halo away from her head. My heart swelled as I imagined my lil knapsgirl playing with one in the future, then I heard the voice-over, "crazy, wild and wacky hair".


"...lots of silly styles."
I'm immediately tired. The constant microaggresions against textured hair even extend to dolls. I shouldn't be surprised our society takes every opportunity to let children of color know they aren't "normal". The message was clear to me people with hair that can stand out from their head, hair that is tightly curled is "crazy, wild and wacky hair".

I just thought their hair was cute and curly.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment